Monday, November 23, 2015

Spotlight on Witchcraft III: The 4 Salems on Oct. 31


While visiting Salem, MA on Oct. 31, I came to the conclusion that there were 4 (mostly) distinct Salems during Halloween/Samhain: 


  1. The Salem of the Tourists
  2. The Historical Salem 
  3. The Salem of the True Believers 
  4. The Salem of the Critics. 






The Salem of Non-Witch Tourists


Essex Street on Halloween/Samhain
No-Maj (the American word for Muggles or non-magical people) were by far the largest portion of people in Salem. All of the other Salems were vying for attention/money from them, at least to some degree. And to be fair, I fit most neatly into this group myself. 


These people came for various reasons. Some were just there for the mass party, some wanted to see the tourist attractions in their peak, some may have been legitimately interested in the details of witchcraft. 


The Historical Salem

One of the many museums about the Salem Witch Trials

Historical Salem is one of the main draws for tourists. Here you learn about the politics of the Salem Witch Trials and that an accusation of witchcraft meant being accused of making a pact with Satan. 



(This historical conception of 'witch' is at odds with the contemporary witchcraft that Salem is also known for.) 


While this was generally accurate, there was some commentary that was questionable. For instance, the introduction to the live reenactment of a witch trial at the Witch Dungeon Museum incorrectly represented predestination, a Calvinist concept. 


Predestination is the belief that only some (the elect) will make it to heaven and this was predetermined by God. 


However, in the next sentence she implied that in Salem people believed that engaging in playful divination, such as looking for the face of their future spouse when they dropped an egg into water, would risk their immortal soul. 


They could easily fix this problem by saying that engaging in any fortune telling would be proof that you are not predestined to heaven and you would suffer socially as a result. 



In predestination, only God can save you; he made this determination before you were born. No action can prevent or help you get to heaven, but actions can be evidence of salvation.


(This is nit-picky, but the audience deserves accurate intellectual history, especially when the change would be minimal)

The Salem of True Believers



Witches gathering to walk to Samhain Sabbat
There is the Salem of true believers and this is a great day financially for some of these true believers. They are able to give readings, have seances, sell potions, and etc... 


But their shops function all year round. However, on Samhain, when I entered their shops, it was not typically the owners or proprietors on the floor greeting customers. 


In one shop I asked how they would photograph my aura and the person really did not know. In another shop, the floor person didn't know if the model of a tree with a face in the center was Yggdrasil that was part of a functioning alter. 


Nevertheless, I could easily tell that the altar was set up by someone who was an active practitioner. It was just that the true believers (or at the least more knowledgeable and charismatic practitioners) were in high demand doing readings, seances, and etc...



Again contemporary witches do not make pacts with Satan, which is what being accused of witchcraft in historical Salem meant. 


Thus, the various stores dedicated to the craft and the witches being portrayed in the Witch Dungeon Museum are two very distinct tourist draws.



The Salem of Critics


Deadpool evangelizing for Odin
In Salem there were several Christian protesters who were preaching against witchcraft and the dress and conduct of the tourists. 


One Christian evangelical was counter protested by Deadpool holding a sign saying "Odin is God (Read Mighty Thor #5)"


Previously I had decided to ask a group of Christian evangelists if they felt that they were being disrespecting those being accused of witchcraft in this location centuries ago. (It would be disrespectful for Christians to try to convert Jews outside a holocaust museum.)


Immediately before I asked this question. I witnessed a live historical reenactment of a Salem witch trial that went through a part of Salem and contemporary Christians condemning almost everyone in Salem for one reason or another. The irony was palpable. 


The four men in this group (are women ever street evangelists?) appeared to be between 18-35. Dressed in nice, yet blue collar attire. 


I spent about a minute trying to shout my question to them. Finally the youngest, who appeared to be in his late teens called me over and I was able to shout my question to him. 


What follows is not exact, but a recreation. I am sure, I was not this eloquent given I had a megaphone about a foot away from my left ear. 



Me: Do you find it disrespectful to be here protesting Witchcraft when people accused of being witches were hanged not far from here?

Response: We are being persecuted by witches.

Me: Give me an example.

Response: In the Bible.

Me: O.K. anything after 500 A.D. 

Response: Yeah the Romans

(At this point I didn't want to and couldn't get into an argument about history) 

Me: O.K. how about anything after 1000 A.D.

Response: Are you denying the Bible as history?

Me: No. I just don't think it's relevant to this particular discussion.


At some point in the conversation he compared me to a witch because I was rebelliously asking questions. I repeated my initial question a few times and got the same answers. I told him that this was silly, turned around, and started to walk away. 


Then the guy with the megaphone turns to me and says "You know what's silly, denying Christ as your savior." I turn back around curious and listened to this guy who I can't have a conversation because with he can literally drown out my words with his megaphone.


Religion Critic symbol

Then he calls me a sissy. I assume this was based on how I was dressed. I was wearing a nice looking black overcoat, a white tie with my symbol on it, a nice lavender dress shirt tucked into jeans, and black dress shoes. 


I assume it was the color of my shirt that earned me the insult. But, at this point, I am just amused. A grown adult making fun of how I am dressed to prove a religious point. (Later in the day I heard him make fun of other people, including men who were dressed as women and women who were dressed immodestly.) 


What I do next, was virtually instinct and it simply amused me. I started to mock flirt with him. I said: "Hey big boy what are you doing later," imitating a gay lisp. He continued to make fun of my masculinity and at that point I was completely done and walked away. 


(I want to stress that I deeply respect and believe in many of the tenets associated with Christianity, especially that of love your neighbor. I also respect many Christians. However, I do not respect stupidity and rudeness; I will return silliness with silliness.)


Bottom Line:


These are the four Salems I witnessed. They all interacted with each other and at one point I saw a Christian protesters across the street from Hare Krishnas chanting the Maha Mantra, while people were arguing with the Christian protesters. 


The scene was similar to this.


The main lesson I learned and what I would like everyone to take from this post: 



We can't forget about religious tourism, evangelism, and indigenous religion even if we are simply taking a day trip into the next town. 


Far away places are not inhabited by 'other people,' and our indigenous religions are only familiar to us. If we step back, maybe we can see the strangeness.  

No comments:

Post a Comment